Correcting Rejected ACI eManifests (ACI eManifest)
This guide offers instructions on correcting an ACI eManifest that has received a reject response from CBSA. If rejected, your trip or shipment's current status will show as CBSA Returned Error, and there will be a CBSA Response under your History/Status Messages showing a reject and the reason for it. In order to resolve the problem, you will need to locate that reject response, and follow the specific instructions for that reject.
This guide is not intended to replace BorderConnect support. It may be that a combination of rejects or events create a situation for which the solution is too complicated to elaborate on here. This will only cover the basics of what each rejection message means, and the solution to the simple situations where it might be encountered.
Shipment Linked to Another Trip
CBSA Response: Trip  Rejected Cargo Control Number: Shipment Linked to Another Trip on 1234PARS008698
This reject comes up when one of the shipments on the manifest you are trying to submit is already linked to a different manifest in CBSA's system. It will tell you which shipment is causing the problem at the end of the response. i.e. from the example the shipment 1234PARS008698 is the one that CBSA shows listed on another trip.
In order to resolve this problem, you will have to locate the original manifest that the shipment was listed on first. Once this has been found, you will need to send a change request for that manifest by selecting Change Trip Only under Send to CBSA. This will make sure that the shipment is de-linked from that manifest in CBSA's system. Once this change request is accepted, you can return to your rejected manifest and Change Trip Only for it as well. This will link the shipment and resolve the reject.
If you should find that the original manifest has already been arrived or released, you won't be able to update it. In this case the shipment will already be marked as arrived and won't be able to be reused. Instead you would need to assign a new cargo control number to the shipment, and send the shipment to CBSA using the option Send New Shipment Request. Once that is accepted, send a Change Trip Only for the manifest to resolve the reject. It is recommend that you also call BorderConnect support at 800-596-5176 for guidance, as depending on the situation it may also be necessary to cancel the rejected shipment using Form BSF673 and contact the customs broker.
CBSA Response: Trip  Rejected Client Supplied Request Id: Duplicate on 1234114000 CBSA Response: Shipment [1234PARS006351] Rejected Client Supplied Request Id: Duplicate on 1234PARS006351
This reject comes up when the trip number you are using has already been used as a cargo control number, or when the cargo control number you are using has already been used as a trip number. CBSA's system does not allow this to take place.
In order to resolve the problem, you will most likely need to change the trip number or cargo control to a new one and resend the trip or shipment that was rejected, using the option 'Send Trip Only' or 'Send New Shipment Request' under 'Send to CBSA'.
Cannot Cancel, Shipment Is Linked to a Trip
CBSA Response: Shipment [1234PARS006793] Rejected Cancel Request Reason: Cannot Cancel, Shipment Is Linked to a Trip on 1234PARS006793
This a reject that occurs when you try to cancel a shipment that is linked to a trip in CBSA's system. A shipment can't be cancelled if CBSA has it listed on a manifest. You must first either de-link the shipment from the manifest in their system or cancel the manifest before the shipment cancel can be processed. The most common place for this reject to come up is when you try to Cancel Trip and Shipments. Because CBSA cannot guarantee the trip cancel gets processed first, shipments may fail to cancel.
- If you were trying Cancel Trip and Shipments, you can resolve it by sending an extra cancel for the shipment(s) that got this reject. Under Send to CBSA, select Send Cancel/Delete Shipment Request. Because the cancel request for the trip will now have been processed, your shipment cancel will go through this time.
- If you were trying to cancel just the shipment because you wanted to remove it from a manifest, you should now follow the instructions for removing shipments from an eManifest in the changes guide.
Shipment Not On File
CBSA Response: Trip  Rejected Cargo Control Number: Shipment Not On File on 1234PARS108098
This reject means that one of the shipments on the manifest you are trying to submit is either not on file or in rejected status. It will tell you which shipment is causing the problem at the end of the response. i.e. from the example the shipment 1234PARS108098 is either not on file or rejected.
To correct the issue, you will first have to make sure the shipment that caused the reject gets into accepted status. If it is currently not on file, i.e. in draft or cancelled status, you will want to send it to CBSA using the option Send New Shipment Request. Or if it is a shipment that you picked up from another carrier, you will need to make sure that they send the shipment using their own ACI software.
If the shipment is in rejected status you will need to resolve that reject before proceeding with your trip fixing your trip. You will want to consult the guide on how to fix the shipment's reject before returning here.
Once the shipment that caused the reject is in accepted status, all you need to do to fix the trip is send a change request. Under Send to CBSA, select the option Change Trip Only. The manifest will come back accepted and link successfully with the shipment.
Invalid Status of Request
CBSA Response: Trip  Rejected Reason: Invalid status of request on 123400104 CBSA Response: Shipment [1234PARS108098] Rejected Reason: Invalid status of request on 1234PARS108098
Invalid status of request is a reject that basically means that your trip or shipment cannot be accepted again because it is already on file, or that you are trying to send a change or amend for a shipment that has been cancelled. It most commonly occurs when a manifest that you've previously sent to CBSA is then sent again. Your response to this reject will depend on your situation:
- If you resent your manifest because you made changes to it and wanted to update the manifest with CBSA, you should now send a change request. Under Send to CBSA, select Change Trip and Shipments, Change Trip Only, or Send Change Shipment Request, depending on whether the trip, shipment or both are rejected. This will allow CBSA to see your updates, and will bring the manifest out of rejected status. Please note also that change requests are the correct way to update your manifest with CBSA. Resending a manifest that is already accepted will always result in this error.
- If you resent your manifest by mistake, and had not made any changes to it, you do not need to take any action to correct it. CBSA still has your manifest from the first time it was sent, and the reject is only for the resend.
- If you sent a change request on a manifest that you had previously cancelled, it is not going through because CBSA does not allow changes to cancelled manifests. From here, all you will need to do to correct it is resend the manifest. Under Send to CBSA, select Send Trip and Shipments, Send Trip Only, or Send New Shipment Request, depending on whether the trip, shipment or both are rejected.
- If this is the first time you've sent this manifest and you receive this response, i.e. it is not a resend, it means that the trip or shipment has already been used. This may be because the manifest was set up in another system, such as the CBSA Portal or through another service provider. In this case you can either use the manifest prepared in that system or have it cancelled from there before resending it in BorderConnect. Or if you determine that the trip number or cargo control number is being used for a different load, you will need to assign a new trip number or cargo control number.
It could also be that the trip or shipment was set up previously in BorderConnect, then the trip number or cargo control number was changed but that change was not processed by CBSA. In this case you are best to contact our support to help you determine where it was used so that it can be cancelled out properly. Again, if it has already crossed the border, you will need to assign a new trip number or cargo control number.
Trip Port Does Not Match Shipment Port
CBSA Response: Trip  Rejected Cargo Control Number: Trip Port Does Not Match Shipment Port on 1234PARS001549
This reject comes up when you are trying to submit a manifest on which the trip and one of the attached shipments have a different First Canadian Port of Entry. The trip and all attached shipments must have the same port in order for the manifest to be accepted.
This rejected commonly comes up when you update the port for the manifest and select 'Change Trip Only'. If your manifest has shipments on it, then you must select 'Change Trip and Shipments', because the shipment ports must also be updated in CBSA's system.
To resolve this reject, you must first edit the ports for the trip and all attached shipments to make sure they are correct Once this is done, under Send to CBSA, select Change Trip and Shipments.
CBSA Response: Trip  Rejected Cargo Control Number: Already Used on 1234PARS002237 CBSA Response: Shipment [1234PARS002237] Rejected Reason: Number Already Used on 1234PARS002237
This reject means that the trip number or cargo control number that you're trying to submit has already been processed by CBSA, and cannot be reused again. The end of the reject message will tell you the trip number or cargo control number that has been used in the past. In our examples, it is the cargo control number 1234PARS002237.
To resolve this reject, you will need to assign a new trip number or cargo control number to replace the rejected one. Once you have edited the number in BorderConnect, you will need to send it to CBSA as an original, i.e. under Send to CBSA select Send Trip Only for a trip or Send New Shipment Request for a shipment. In the case where you are resending a shipment, you will also need to wait for that to be accepted and then select Change Trip Only under Send to CBSA.
Not On File
CBSA Response: Trip  Rejected Cancel Request Reason: Not On File on 12340218 CBSA Response: Shipment [1234PARS0112] Rejected Cancel Request Reason: Not On File on 1234PARS0112
This is a reject that comes up when you try to send a cancel request or change request for a trip or shipment that is not in CBSA's system. e.g. you send a cancel for a trip but that trip was never sent in the first place. A common occurrence for this reject is if you were to edit a cargo control number in BorderConnect and send a change request for it. This will not be successful because CBSA will not be able to tell what the old cargo control number was that you are trying to update.
- If you encounter this reject when you were trying to cancel a trip or a shipment, you should not need to do anything else because the response confirms that it is not on file with CBSA. It is now free to be left cancelled or modified and resent.
- If you encounter this reject when you were trying to change something other than trip number or cargo control number, the rejected trip or shipment will need to be sent instead. i.e. under Send to CBSA select Send Trip Only, Send New Shipment Request or Send Trip and Shipments.
- If you were trying to change your trip number or cargo control number, you should set the trip number or cargo control number back to what it was originally, and follow the procedures in for making those changes in the changes guide.